Women and girls represent half of the world’s population and, therefore, also half of its potential. Gender equality, besides being a fundamental human right, is essential to achieve peaceful societies, with full human potential and sustainable development. Moreover, it has been shown that empowering women spurs productivity and economic growth.
Unfortunately, there is still a long way to go to achieve full equality of rights and opportunities between men and women. Therefore, it is of paramount importance to end the multiple forms of gender violence, especially cyberbullying and online harassment against women and girls, and secure equal access to digital technology and information, quality education and health, economic resources, and participation in political life for both women and girls and men and boys. It is also essential to achieve equal opportunities in access to employment and to positions of leadership and decision-making at all levels.
After two previous editions, the 2023 International Women’s Day mentorship program will explore the impact of the digital gender gap on widening economic and social inequalities and the importance of protecting the rights of women and girls in digital spaces and addressing online and ICT-facilitated gender-based violence. Bringing women and other marginalized groups into technology results in more creative solutions and has greater potential for innovations that meet women’s needs and promote gender equality. A gender-responsive approach to innovation, technology, and digital education can increase the awareness of women and girls regarding their rights and civic engagement.
The International Women’s day campaign theme for 2023 is “DigitALL: Innovation and technology for gender equality”. This year’s theme recognizes and celebrates the women and girls who are championing the advancement of transformative technology and digital education.
Against this backdrop, we are is centering her advocacy on the importance of mentorship from the older generation of women and men in digital leadership positions in Nigeria to young women aspiring to leadership positions in the digital ecosystem. Our aim is for mentors to choose and challenge their mentees to access leadership opportunities in building and learning about Innovation and Technology to improve gender equality in the digital space.
- To provide a platform for young women in Nigeria to reaffirm their commitment to choose to challenge inequality and online harassment of women and girls.
- To form a hub of young women in Nigeria that are passionate about challenging online harassment and cyberbullying as a form of gender inequality and promoting inclusive and safe digital access for women and girls
- To make progress towards actualizing the theme of International Women’s Day 2023
- To provide young women with the requisite knowledge and experience through mentorship to be gender activists in Nigeria
- Girl Up Nigeria calls for an essay of not more than 300 words or a video of not more than 2 minutes long submission from vibrant young women and girls in Nigeria who are willing to take a stand advocating for access to digital technology and innovation for women and girls on the 14th of January, 2023 to 21st of January, 2023
- Twenty winners are selected from the pool of submissions by the 28th of January, 2023
- An Onboarding session for Mentors and Mentees will hold on the 4th of February 2023
- The winners are assigned to mentors who are young influential women and men, making huge strides in their careers.
- These mentors are each assigned 2 mentees and are to choose the most preferred medium for regular communication amongst themselves for a three weeks period.
- Mentees and Mentors would have virtual sessions with highly influential women and men in Nigeria and around the world during the one-month program.
- Certificates are awarded to participants (both mentors and mentees) who successfully complete the program.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION OF MENTEES
- Must be between 16 to 26 years old
- Fill out the application form
- Clarity of thoughts
- Expresses views in an understandable, credible, and persuasive manner
- Writes in a well-structured and logical manner.
BENEFITS FOR MENTEES
- Feature on Girl Up Nigeria’s social media platforms
- Opportunity to be mentored by influential women and men in Nigeria for One Month
- Certificates of participation after the mentorship program